[m-dev.] For review: Using MR_TypeCtorInfo for generated type_ctor_infos

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Aug 6 20:30:32 AEST 1999

On 06-Aug-1999, Warwick Harvey <wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au> wrote:
> Fergus wrote:
> > On 05-Aug-1999, Warwick Harvey <wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au> wrote:
> > > Anyway, I've done some more experimentation, and appear to have
> > > eliminated all the warnings I introduced.  I did it by adding casts
> > > to `String' to all the generated `string_const' calls.
> >
> > This is not the right fix, I think.
>
> ... which is why I raised this issue in my original post, to get guidance on
> the right way to fix this.  None was forthcoming, so off I trotted on my
> own, and by all accounts in the wrong direction.

Well, you've convinced me now that your approach is fine.

The reason you didn't get any guidance about what the right way to fix
the problem is that none of us knew off-hand what the right fix was.

Note that when reviewing your code I spent quite a bit of time researching
the issue -- looking at the source code, checking the old cvs log messages,
and so forth.

Doing the research without having a particular proposal in mind
would basically be an open-ended search that is really the work of
whoever is doing the change.  Once you propose a particular change,
this narrows down the search significantly -- that's why reviewing
code is much easier than writing it.  But even then, it's still
possible for reviewers to make mistakes ;-)