[m-dev.] Things seg faulting everywhere

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Sep 15 12:14:20 AEST 1998

On 15-Sep-1998, Andrew Bromage <bromage at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> G'day all.
>
> I wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately I can't test it on other machines just now since
> > everything that I compile on non-alpha machines (tested: hydra,
> > mercury, kryten) stack dumps.
>
> Sorry, that should have read "seg faults".
>
> Here's the test for reproduction purposes:
>
> <<
> hydra /home/mercury1/bromage/mercury/samples % mmake realclean
> hydra /home/mercury1/bromage/mercury/samples % mmake hello.depend
> hydra /home/mercury1/bromage/mercury/samples % mmake hello
> [Report includes:
> /home/mercury/public/mercury-latest/i586-unknown-linux/bin/ml: /bin/mkfifo: No such file or directory
> Looks suspicious, but it shouldn't cause the following error...]
> hydra /home/mercury1/bromage/mercury/samples % ./hello
>
> *** Mercury runtime: caught segmentation violation ***
> PC at signal: 134549419 (8050fab)
> address involved: 0xfffffff4
> You can get a stack dump by using `--low-level-debug'
> exiting from signal handler

Your environment must be messed up, I can build hello just fine.

You aren't trying to build on hydra using mercury's compiler are you?
That won't work because they are very different setups (for instance
mkfifo is in different directories, and they are using incompatible
C libraries).

--
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.     - Benjamin Franklin

Tyson Dowd   <tyson at tyse.net>   http://tyse.net