[m-dev.] Re: proposed command set for the internal trace based debugger

Peter Schachte pets at students.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Jun 12 14:29:12 AEST 1998

On 12 Jun 1998, Lee Naish wrote:

> let me propose a couple of commands based on the trace
> view to see if they seem reasonable (both are to be used a an exit port):
>
> most_recent_exit_at_next_level
> Goes to the most recent exit port at the next level (ie, the previous
> line in the full trace, like prev).
>
> prior_exit_at_this_level
> Goes to the most recent exit port of the previous call at this level
> (like retry followed by prev

Very nice.

> Given that we will probably be doing recomputation anyway, the following
> could be used in addition:
>
> initial_exit_at_next_level
> First exit *on current successful execution path* at next level.

Is this meant to be used at a call port?  Isn't it just creep, then skip?

> subsequent_exit_at_this_level
> Assuming we are currently at an exit on the right path, this will just
> take ust to the next exit at this level.

Isn't this just creep, then skip?

One thing I notice in your overall command set is that it seems to
concentrate on erroneous solutions.  How do you find an inadmissible
goal if you're always looking at exit ports?

-Peter Schachte               | Apologists for Economic Darwinism seem to
mailto:pets at cs.mu.OZ.AU       | forget that the goal is maximum aggregate
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~pets/ | utility -- not just having the fittest
PGP: finger pets at 128.250.37.3 | corporations. -- me