[m-dev.] rotd-2024-04-5 build failed / cannot compile lib in C# grade

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Sat Apr 6 16:22:42 AEDT 2024

On 2024-04-06 16:01 +11:00 AEDT, "Julien Fischer" <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
> The grade is asm_fast.gc.  We build the the source distribution in
> hlc.gc.pregen, but above does not build the source distribution.
> It builds and installs the compiler that is then used to build the
> source distribution.

OK. In that case, the problem is probably NOT in the MLDS code generator,
but in the LLDS code generator, but for some reason, it miscompiles only
code in the MLDS parts of the compiler.

> Having just run through that process half a dozen times today, you
> don't need to tell me ;-)  I'm going to attempt to reproduce the
> problem on the 16-core server I gave you access to, and then investigate
> further from there.

Thanks.

>> And what was the last time the process worked without an error?
>
> rotd-2024-04-04 (commit: 6ef9b3cf16209c829ef32f1a0a5bfe05113f07)

That narrows down the scope of the problem. Since then I have commited
only three minor diffs that shouldn't have caused an issue, but one clearly did.
My guess would be 07db4ec97ee854a320a4369ea760320109453a68.
I don't think you can reverse just that commit without first reversing the next two,
but you can try backing out all of them, check that this works, and then reapply
just 07db, and see whether that fails. Or just check out 07db and test it directly.

In the meantime, after I run an errand, I will walk through the before-and-after
07db versions of the code and see whether they do anything differently,
as opposed to just doing the same things just in different packaging,
as was the intention.

Zoltan.