[m-dev.] rotd-2024-04-5 build failed / cannot compile lib in C# grade

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Sat Apr 6 16:01:04 AEDT 2024

On Sat, 6 Apr 2024, Zoltan Somogyi wrote:

> On 2024-04-06 15:11 +11:00 AEDT, "Julien Fischer" <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
>>> What was the setup that got you the error? Can *you* reproduce it?
>>
>> Just directly building stage 1 (in asm_fast.gc) and bootchecking the C#
>> grade does not reproduce the problem.
>
> I did almost exactly that (in asm_fast.gc.debug.stseg), and found that out.
>
>> The procedure the script building
>> the ROTDs is using is:
>>
>>    /bin/rm -rf stage2 stage3 Mmake.params Mmake.stage.params
>>    git submodule deinit -f .
>>    git checkout -- VERSION
>>    git clean -x -f -d
>>    git pull --rebase
>>    sed "s/VERSION=.*/VERSION=${rotd_version}/" VERSION > VERSION.new
>>    mv VERSION.new VERSION
>>    ./prepare.sh
>>    ./configure --prefix=/home/jfischer/mercury/rotds/"${rotd_version}" \
>>       --enable-libgrades=asm_fast.gc,hlc.gc,hlc.gc.tr,csharp,java,asm_fast.gc.profdeep.tr.stseg,hlc.par.gc
>>    mmake depend
>>    tools/bootcheck -j8
>
> What grade does this use? I always specify that explicitly for a bootcheck;
> I forgot the algorithm for the default. For an rotd, this should be hlc.gc.pregen,
> right?

The grade is asm_fast.gc.  We build the the source distribution in
hlc.gc.pregen, but above does not build the source distribution.
It builds and installs the compiler that is then used to build the
source distribution.

>>    cd stage2
>>    mmake -j8 install
>>
>> Doing that with rotd-2024-04-04 as the bootstrap compiler does reproduce
>> the problem for me.
>
> At what stage in that script do you get the error? What fails, the bootcheck or
> the mmake install?

It fails at the mmake install step when building the C# grade. (So it
has already bootchecked in asm_fast.gc and installed the asm_fast grades
by that point.)

> And how does it fail?

Exactly as I said in my previous mail. (Setting EXTRA_CFLAGS = -O0
causes a segmentation fault in the Mercury compiler somewhat earlier
in the installation of the library in the C# grade.)

> I ask because it would take my laptop longer to use that script to
> reproduce the problem than I have time for today.

Having just run through that process half a dozen times today, you
don't need to tell me ;-)  I'm going to attempt to reproduce the
problem on the 16-core server I gave you access to, and then investigate
further from there.

> And what was the last time the process worked without an error?

rotd-2024-04-04 (commit: 6ef9b3cf16209c829ef32f1a0a5bfe05113f07)

Julien.