[m-dev.] rotd-2024-04-5 build failed / cannot compile lib in C# grade

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Sat Apr 6 15:11:43 AEDT 2024

On Sat, 6 Apr 2024, Zoltan Somogyi wrote:

> On 2024-04-06 00:25 +11:00 AEDT, "Zoltan Somogyi" <zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2024-04-05 22:48 +11:00 AEDT, "Julien Fischer" <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
>>> This evening's rotd build failed due to the stage 2 compiler being
>>> unable to compile the library in the C# grade. In particular, we get:
>>>
>>> Mercury/css/pretty_printer.m(1425,12): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `mr_bool' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
>>> Compilation failed: 1 error(s), 0 warnings
>>
>> That is a very strange error message, given the diff.
>>
>> I will look into it.
>
> I cannot reproduce the problem. Attached is the output
> of a C# bootcheck with no optimization options, and it shows
> the successful building of both stages 2 and 3. The contents
> of Mercury/css/pretty_printer.cs in the two stages are identical.
>
> What was the setup that got you the error? Can *you* reproduce it?

The setup was:

    Bootstrap mmc: rotd-2024-04-04
    GCC: 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-44)
    System: CentOS 7 / x86_64
    Git commit: fd6fcd6

> What was the setup that got you the error? Can *you* reproduce it?

Just directly building stage 1 (in asm_fast.gc) and bootchecking the C#
grade does not reproduce the problem.  The procedure the script building
the ROTDs is using is:

    /bin/rm -rf stage2 stage3 Mmake.params Mmake.stage.params
    git submodule deinit -f .
    git checkout -- VERSION
    git clean -x -f -d
    git pull --rebase
    sed "s/VERSION=.*/VERSION=${rotd_version}/" VERSION > VERSION.new
    mv VERSION.new VERSION
    ./prepare.sh
    ./configure --prefix=/home/jfischer/mercury/rotds/"${rotd_version}" \
       --enable-libgrades=asm_fast.gc,hlc.gc,hlc.gc.tr,csharp,java,asm_fast.gc.profdeep.tr.stseg,hlc.par.gc
    mmake depend
    tools/bootcheck -j8
    cd stage2
    mmake -j8 install

Doing that with rotd-2024-04-04 as the bootstrap compiler does reproduce
the problem for me.

Julien.