[m-dev.] rotd-2024-04-5 build failed / cannot compile lib in C# grade

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Sat Apr 6 10:17:52 AEDT 2024

On 2024-04-06 00:25 +11:00 AEDT, "Zoltan Somogyi" <zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com> wrote:

> On 2024-04-05 22:48 +11:00 AEDT, "Julien Fischer" <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
>> This evening's rotd build failed due to the stage 2 compiler being
>> unable to compile the library in the C# grade. In particular, we get:
>>
>> Mercury/css/pretty_printer.m(1425,12): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `mr_bool' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
>> Compilation failed: 1 error(s), 0 warnings
>
> That is a very strange error message, given the diff.
>
> I will look into it.

I cannot reproduce the problem. Attached is the output
of a C# bootcheck with no optimization options, and it shows
the successful building of both stages 2 and 3. The contents
of Mercury/css/pretty_printer.cs in the two stages are identical.

What was the setup that got you the error? Can *you* reproduce it?

I also looked into what recent commits may have affected the C# backend.
With one exception, all the changes I committed since the last C# bootcheck
by Mercury testing was a two-line change to ml_string_switch.m that just moved
a line of code unchanged from a callee to its caller.

Zoltan.