[m-users.] Mercury macro trouble

Mark Brown mark at mercurylang.org
Tue Jun 4 10:50:24 AEST 2024

On Mon, Jun 3, 2024 at 8:03 PM Volker Wysk <post at volker-wysk.de> wrote:
> the documentation
> should be extended by a sentence or two. Saying that the macro versions are
> problematic and that users should use foreign exports instead - or that they
> should use inline functions, which wrap the macros, like it was discussed.

Adding qualifiers about all of C's relevant quirks would not improve
our documentation in my view. The issue with macros is something I was
taught early on when learning C, and I think it inherently applies to
macros for any language with imperative features. It should be enough
just to say that they are macros.

Cheers,
Mark