[m-users.] Mercury macro trouble

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Mon Jun 3 20:03:37 AEST 2024

Am Sonntag, dem 26.05.2024 um 15:01 +1000 schrieb Julien Fischer:
> My suggestion would be that the list module in the standard library
> provide function
> versions of these operations (as indeed it does for the C# and Java backends).
> Users should be directed to those, instead of the runtime macros ...

So will this be implemented?

> ... or users should just foreign export pragmas the operations they
> need to manipulate
> lists in foreign code.  As indeed you would need to do if you wanted
> to manipulate just
> about any other data structure in the Mercury standard library from
> foreign code.  This
> approach also automatically handles whether arguments need to be boxed etc.

But it would be handy if this was predefined (same as in the C# and Java
backends).

And, even if you don't want to provide function versions, the documentation
should be extended by a sentence or two. Saying that the macro versions are
problematic and that users should use foreign exports instead - or that they
should use inline functions, which wrap the macros, like it was discussed.

Cheers,
Volker