[m-users.] ODBC library in parallel grades

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Wed Mar 1 03:18:03 AEDT 2023

Am Mittwoch, dem 01.03.2023 um 02:58 +1100 schrieb Zoltan Somogyi:

> On Tue, 28 Feb 2023 16:35:23 +0100, Volker Wysk <post at volker-wysk.de> wrote:
> > I'm getting the impression that the ODBC library doesn't work in parallel
> > grades. Doing a transaction hangs. Even if no threads, except for the main
> > program, is used. Is this correct ..?
>
> The ODBC library was given to the Mercury project by its authors
> in 1997, which was before parallel grades existed. It has seen
> very little maintenance since then. Even if it did work in parallel
> grades, it would be only be by accident.
>
> If you want to use this library in that environment, I think you
> will have to make it work yourself; I don't believe any of the
> current members of the Mercury project have ever done any
> but incidental maintenance on it.

Yes, there's some work to do.

- Explicit connections (not a new connection for every transaction)
- Support for SQL integer types (64-bit-ints are represended by strings)
- Support for threads
- An "unsafe_transaction" predicate (You might not like this idea)
- Support for binary data/blobs

Quite possible that I'll do some of this.

Cheers,
Volker