[m-users.] A question of style...

Paul Bone paul at bone.id.au
Fri Mar 4 10:04:26 AEDT 2022

On Thu, Mar 03, 2022 at 10:57:13PM +0000, Sean Charles (emacstheviking) wrote:
> OK, a teaser... in the last hour I just finished 'it' and it works well enough for me to be a third of the way writing up a small blog post about it...for one awful moment I thought I'd wasted my time with it. Stay tuned...
>
> ...but...
>
> ...in one of your videos you mentioned something called 'err' which you said puts errors into the source so you can read it. I thought that was such an elegantly simple idea I immediately chose to write one for nano and integrate it via the external formatter command. Nano, with a hand rolled syntax file based on the prolog one, is my editor of choice now for Mercury, and Kitty.app, the BEST terminal emulator I've discovered.

"error".  It's going to be hard to find using google.

https://github.com/Mercury-Language/mercury/tree/master/extras/error

Which of course is so simple that it works with any editor.  Provided you're
happy to reload the file each time you compile, which has the side-effect of
loosing your undo list.  Having something more tightly integrated with the
editor is going to be smoother to use (so it's cool you're working on that).

> In the next day or so I will push the code to github, publish the post and reveal all! TBH I could have achieved the same thing in a few lines of python code but...that's day job stuff, and besides I am so utterly into Mercury that I don't really need much of a reason to go off on a tangential hacking spree with it!
>
> Plasma looks cool too. Irony.

Thanks.

--
Paul Bone