[m-users.] Mercury for Game AI

David Epstein davideps at umich.edu
Thu Jan 20 04:02:16 AEDT 2022

Thanks Zoltan.

>>>It is native to Prolog. It is NOT native to Mercury. In fact, it
> definitely

I've been told this several times, but apparently the lesson hasn't sunk in
completely. I thought the definition of a predicate was the "pred" and
"mode" lines and that "dead(dan)" was...I'm unsure of the correct
words...like *assigning* the name "dan" to the predicate. But, you are
saying that each invocation of the predicate is part of its definition?

Let me ask a different question. Based on my description of the project, do
you think Mercury is a good fit--better than C# alone? I ask because there
are many game AI, NLP, and other libraries available for C#. But, I saw how
Prolog handles things, fell in love, and starting searching for a version
of Prolog compatible with C#. Now I wonder if I'm making my project more
complicated without gaining an upside. Regardless, I'm super impressed with
how Mercury can produce C# assemblies that work on multiple .NET platforms.

-david