[m-users.] Debugger, setting initial breakpoint not triggering

Sean Charles (emacstheviking) objitsu at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 23:55:30 AEDT 2022

Hi,

I have upgraded to 22.01.4 and installed debugging grades, the tools from the command line are:

➜  f2 git:(ast-review) ✗ which mdb
/usr/local/mercury-22.01.4/bin/mdb
➜  f2 git:(ast-review) ✗ which mmc
/usr/local/mercury-22.01.4/bin/mmc

Asking for the list of grades I get:

➜  f2 git:(ast-review) ✗ mmc  --output-stdlib-grades
hlc.gc
hlc.gc.memprof
hlc.gc.prof
hlc.gc.tr
hlc.gcd.ll_debug
hlc.par.gc
none.gc
none.gc.debug.stseg
none.gc.decldebug.stseg
none.gc.prof
none.gc.profdeep.stseg
none.gc.tr.debug.stseg
none.par.gc.stseg

My makefile uses hlc.gcd.ll_debug

I have created a local file called .mdbrc which contains:

cat .mdbrc

➜  f2 git:(ast-review) ✗ cat .mdbrc
break felt.m:44
break -PS ast.m:87

When I run mdb, it just doesn't stop on either of the breakpoints given.

I then tried building with 'none.gc.debug.stseg' which built ok but when I tried to invoke the debugger:

➜  f2 git:(ast-review) ✗ mdb ./felt

*** Mercury runtime: caught bus error ***
cause: invalid address alignment
address involved: 0x104ed6000
This may have been caused by a stack overflow, due to unbounded recursion.
exiting from signal handler

I have an issue I'd like to debug, I've never used the Mercury debugger before and thought it would be fun to try it. I have installed the emacs file and that also has the same issue in that it does not stop on a breakpoint.

I have some confusion over use o the --debug flag too, II understand it is NOT required if you explicitly mention the debug grade which is what is in my Makefile

#GRADE=hlc.gc
#GRADE=none.gc.debug.stseg
#GRADE=hlc.gcd.ll_debug
GRADE=none.gc.debug.stseg