[m-users.] Link-time optimization

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Sat Jun 13 14:21:28 AEST 2020

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020, Massimo Dentico wrote:

> When I bootstrapped the compiler I had to move the directory where mmc
> is installed at the head of PATH variable (I choose to add mmc to PATH
> in my .bashrc), otherwise it conflicted with mmc.exe (Microsoft
> Management Console) in "C:\Windows\System32\".

You should take that up with Microsoft, we were using the name first ;-)

> I see that this is a long known annoyance§ but I haven't found it
> mentioned in the documentation.

It's mentioned in a couple of places (README.Cygwin and
README.MS-VisualC) but not anywhere I suspect you would have looked
given the platform you are using; I'll move it to a more obvious spot.

We should probably just support "mercury" as a synonym for "mmc" on all
systems rather than just for systems targeting MSVC as we do now.

Julien.