[m-users.] installing Mercury on Ubuntu

nll at dent.vctlabs.com nll at dent.vctlabs.com
Tue Jun 23 10:58:28 AEST 2015

Hello Paul and all,

I included the original message and responded to all.  I do not know if
that was the right thing to do.  Please let me know if I have blundered.

Yes, Gentoo uses source builds for most installs.  There are some binary
builds available.  Firefox is an example.  It will not build on my Gentoo
computer, because the load takes too much disk space.  Firefox also takes
a long time to compile.  Mercury did take quite a while to compile,
because of all the grades.

The source that I downloaded was a development snapshot for 14.01.  I see
that you have moved on to 14.02.  At the time I was thinking that it
might be of interest to the developers to have an instance running on
Ubuntu.  However, as you see, I did not get it installed in a timely
mmanner, so I suppose that concept may have been overcome by events.
Anyway thanks for your propmt responses, and I will try to figure out what
to do.
If a snapshot is a git release, perhaps I need to download the regular
release of 14.02 instead.

Nick Lockwood