[m-users.] Mercury on ARM

Paul Bone paul at bone.id.au
Tue Jun 4 10:06:32 AEST 2013

On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 12:53:06AM +1000, Julien Fischer wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> On Mon, 3 Jun 2013, Tycho Luyben wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to get Mercury working on ARM? I cannot find any
>> references to it, except from 2005 which is outdated. It seems because
>> of the C generation, it should be capable of compiling the compiler to
>> ARM from an Intel machine using a cross compiler? And then (if needed)
>> bootstrap with that? Any issues with that ? Did anyone do that?
>
> I should have read the last part of that a little more carefully.
> You don't need a Mercury compiler to bootstrap the compiler.
> The Mercury source distribution contains pre-generated C files, so
> you should be able to boostrap the compiler with just a C compiler.
> (Given the appropriate build tools, e.g. make etc, you should just
> be able to compile it directly on your ARM machine.)

If the ARM device is a small device, like a tablet or phone, then
compilation and installation may take a while.  You can attempt to reduce
the number of grades that Mercury is built in, See README.bootstrap the
tarball, and/or
http://www.mercurylang.org/information/doc-latest/mercury_user_guide/Grades-and-grade-components.html

--
Paul Bone