[mercury-users] more Mercury homework: "Mercuryfy" some simple Prolog

Peter Ross pro at missioncriticalit.com
Mon Sep 27 14:28:04 AEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:23 AM, Jean-Marc Vanel
<jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/9/26 Tomas By <tomas at basun.net>:
>> Having said that, and having had a quick look at you CV on your website,
>> I think you may be better off staying with Prolog. There are books you
>> can read, there are much more mature tools, there are plenty of libraries.
>> The lack of Unicode support in Mercury, in particular, may be an issue.
>
> Well, this does not discourage me , although the Unicode stuff is a bad smell.

If you are using the java backend, then you get unicode support for free.

I've also used UTF-8 extensively under the C backend, under the
proviso that one has to be careful about the fact that a UTF-8
character may consist of more than one Mercury character.

> I dislike too much the hacks in Prolog.
> And the possible integration with Java has value , even if it's not as smooth as Scala.

I've been looking at both scala and F#.  Personally I prefer the F#
approach an pure functional language with some OO extensions, rather
than scala an OO language with functional extensions.