[mercury-users] Win32 build problem resolved: env var INSTALL

Robert Shiplett grshiplett at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 00:20:03 AEDT 2010

Folks,

I am sorry to say that the install failures on Win32 Cywin of 10.04.2
are not exactly due to configure script or makefile.in

They arise if the Windows environment has an unexpected value for the
environment variable INSTALL

In my case, amending Cygwin to start with INSTALL exported as
/cygdrive/i/cygwin/bin/install.exe sends the arguments
  -m 644
to install.exe and not to cp

It might be worth testing the value of this variable and advising the
user.  I am not sure which program set a variable INSTALL as part of
my XP env

I had assumed that the intention was to run cp and then chmod ( I must
have forgotten that install is itself a program to both cp and chmod )

The problem only plagued ./boehm_gc and below.

Fortunately I did some other tests with configure | make | make
install  (this time with Erlang wanting WxWidgets  to be installed )
and found another case of -m 644 being sent to cp by wx - I first
looked to see if there was some other version of cp that was being
used for the install - and then saw that `install` is itself a nix
command.  Oh vey.  That led me to look at the env ...

Now back to Mercury and Ralph Becket's ideas for declarative markup
without entering HTML ...

thanks
Robert