[mercury-users] unable to build last Cygwin Mercury in XP SP3

Robert Shiplett grshiplett at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 03:05:26 AEDT 2010

Folks,

re: \cygwin\mercury-10.04.2\mercury-compiler-10.04.2

This is the latest Cygwin from vt.edu on XP SP3 but the Mercury make
and the install fail at various points

All involve the   m  parameter being passed to the  cp  command  first
in makefile and then to install-sh scripts

Most fail on

  cp -m 644

I can get rid of most by editing the makefile.in to remove the -m 644
but the late install step involving

   \mercury-10.04.2\mercury-compiler-10.04.2\install_grade_dir.hlc.gc

fails in the install-sh on

  test -z

due to passing -m to cp

I have spent some time on trying to devise install-sh without concern
for mode, but the game appears not worth the candle.

The installed lib/mercury seems intact but I have not tried to install
the tests tar.gz

All of the problems are at ./boehm_gc and below as regards atomic_ops

Oh -   -m is not an option for cp on Cygwin ttbmk.

I will go back to the site and try a fresh download ... assuming this
must be my error somewhere ...

Regards,

Robert Shiplett
New Brunswick,