Res: [mercury-users] Generating small and fast binaries in Mercury

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jul 2 12:18:53 AEST 2007

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Alexsandro Soares wrote:

> Thanks for your answers, Julien and Bartlomiej.
>
>> Of the compiler itself, or of something you're compiling with it?
>
> The second option: something I am compiling using the this modified
> compiler .
>
> I just finished to compile Mercury on Windows XP using Cygwin, the entire
> process (make and make install) lasts 25 hours in my machine (Pentium III,
> 500Mhz, 512 Mbytes ). What's the reason behind of so slowly compilation
> process?

(1) By default you will be building and installing the libraries in
     around nine different grades.  If you don't need them all, try
     disabling some of them (see ./configure --help for the options used
     to set the grades to be installed.)

(2) The added overhead of running under cygwin.

> I'm trying to build a Mercury compiler which targets MinGW from Cygwin. My
> Cygwin version of Mercury is ok and the path is ok too. However, when I
> configure the source distribution of Mercury using:
>     ./configure --prefix=/cygdrive/c/mercurymgw --with-cc="gcc -mno-cygwin"
> I get the following message: configure: error: Cannot determine the length
> modifier for the MR_Integer type.
>
> There are any step-by-step instructions to do this compilation without errors?

Have you looked in README.MinGW?  (Note that you can also build Mercury
using MYSYS - the MinGW shell.)

Julien.