[mercury-users] too long argument lists constructed by mmc --make

Peter Ross pro at missioncriticalit.com
Fri Jan 12 11:22:37 AEDT 2007

One of my fellow mc'ians had the following problem, is there any easy
work around?

Our problem is that we make heavy use of nested modules and hence have
very long file names.

I have just added a few instances to the navigation, which had the
effect of adding a few new mercury file.

When linking, I got this:

** Error making `Mercury/asm_fast.gc.decldebug/i686-pc-cygwin/Mercury/exes/loans
_tcp_server.exe'.
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec '/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/collec
t2.exe': Argument list too long
make: *** [loans_tcp_server] Error 1

The problem is the list of .o's that is getting way too big!

I just changed grade to have a shorter grade name (then path to .o's
is shorter) and that worked!

We need to find a way around that problem!