[mercury-users] To the mercury makers: Mercury unification papers??

David Overton dmo at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed May 5 17:59:10 AEST 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 04:45:17AM +0200, Stefan Hinterstoisser wrote:
> I am student at the uni melbourne and I just have a project about
> unification in mercury running (the project is about showing mercury
> unification in a graph - have already done that but right now I need some
> theory with which I can write my paper with). Do you have any reference
> material or papers about unification in Mercury (maybe papers with some
> examples) and about the technics you use (like backtracking, search
> algorithms you use etc.) that you could send me (or showing me where in the
> web I can find them)??

I'm not sure exactly what you're after.  The paper below describes the
execution algorithm of Mercury, including data representation,
unification and backtracking.

@article{SHC1996a,
  author	= "Zoltan Somogyi and Fergus Henderson and Thomas Conway",
  title		= "The Execution Algorithm of {Mercury}:
  		an Efficient Purely Declarative Logic Programming Language",
  journal	= jlp,
  pages		= "17--64",
  year		= 1996,
  volume	= 29,
  number	= "1--3",
}

> And another question is where I can find something about the command
> :- pragma promise_pure(pred...).

See

@techreport{DSHS2000,
  author =	"Tyson Dowd and Peter Schachte and Fergus Henderson and
		Zoltan Somogyi",
  title =	"Using Impurity to Create Declarative Interfaces in {Mercury}",
  number =	"2000/17",
  institution = "Department of Computer Science, University of Melbourne",
  address = 	"Australia",
  year =	2000,
}

Both papers (and many more) are available from the Mercury web site:
<http://www.mercury.cs.mu.oz.au/information/papers.html>.

David
--
David Overton