[mercury-users] Switching on strings

Ralph Becket rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Jul 24 11:55:08 AEST 2003

Michael Day, Thursday, 24 July 2003:

> (A nice clear cut case where Mercury code can be far shorter and more
> intelligible than the corresponding C code, without sacrificing
> efficiency).

In my experience, very few of the programs I write in Mercury could
possibly be shorter in C and it's very doubtful whether they'd be that
much faster once I'd added all the usual bullet-proofing with bounds
checks and memory management and roll-your-own unions-of-structures and
automatically resizable data structures (better hope you didn't let any
of those internal pointers escape into the wild) and...  Plus, I
get results sooner from the Mercury program because I don't have to
spend heaps of time in gdb tracking down bugs in a C program.

-- Ralph