[mercury-users] build error (CLR: not found)

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Feb 3 13:48:20 AEDT 2003

On 02-Feb-2003, Wendelin Reich <wreich at gmx.net> wrote:
> Dear Fergus,
> Thanks for your help! Attached are the files you requested...
> [from configure.log:]
> checking for ilasm...  /cygdrive/c/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.0.3705/ilasm
> checking for gacutil...  /cygdrive/c/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.0.3705/gacutil
> checking for Microsoft.NET Framework SDK... yes
> checking for cl... no
> checking for Microsoft.NET Visual C++... no
> checking for csc...
> /cygdrive/c/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.0.3705/csc
> checking version of .NET libraries... 1.0.3300.0
> After the failure, I have a working mmc, mdb etc. and can compile with
> --grade il, but I cannot run the .NET code, because the generated
> assembly seems to have a reference to an assembly named "mercury" that
> does not yet exist at this point. (At least that's what ILDASM tells
> me.)

Right.  Your install has completed, for all grades except the `il' grade,
which configure ought to have disabled anyway, because your system does
not have `cl.exe' installed.  `cl.exe' is needed to compile the C++
code in the `il' grade version of the Mercury standard library.
The "mercury" assembly contains the Mercury standard library
and it has not been built because there was no `cl.exe' in your PATH.

Apparently you do have some parts of the .NET SDK installed, e.g.
ilasm.exe and gacutil.exe, but not `cl.exe'.  This is what confused our
configuration script.  Maybe Microsoft have stopped including `cl.exe'
in their .NET SDK?

If you do want to use the `il' grade, you could try the binary
distribution of Mercury for Cygwin or Mingw; those should not require
`cl.exe'.