[mercury-users] build error (CLR: not found)

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Feb 3 01:02:49 AEDT 2003

On 02-Feb-2003, Wendelin Reich <wreich at gmx.net> wrote:
> Mercury compiles on my Cygwin-installation with the following rather
> late build error. This should be simple, I just don't have any idea (or
> can infer from the Mmakefile) what the command "CLR" should be for and
> where I should be found. Obviously it has to do with .NET, but the CLR
> (common language runtime) is a concept, not a program, so I'm lost.

The rule which is being invoked is this on, from scripts/Mmake.rules:

	$(os_subdir)%.dll : %.cpp
		$(MS_CL) -CLR$(MS_CL_NOASM) $(ALL_MS_CLFLAGS) \
			-I`$(FIX_PATH_FOR_CL) $(MERC_C_INCL_DIR)` \
			-AI`$(FIX_PATH_FOR_CL) $(MERC_DLL_DIR)` $< \
			-LD -o $@ $(MS_CL_LIBS)

The $(MS_CL) variable is expanding to the empty string,
and then Make is treating the initial `-' as a special
indicator to say that failure of this command should be ignored,
and treating the remaining part of the "-CLR" option as a command
name to invoke.

The question is, why is this rule being invoked when $(MS_CL) is empty?
The $(MS_CL) variable holds the name of the Microsoft C++ command-line
compiler, if any is present.  The configuration process is supposed to
check whether you have `cl.exe' installed, and to only enable the `il'
(.NET) grade if you do.  The rule above is only supposed to be triggered
if you are building in the `il' grade.

What grade was it trying to build when the build failed?
Was it the `il' grade?