[mercury-users] Redhat 7.3 / glibc / gc

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Jul 23 03:18:02 AEST 2002

On 16-Jul-2002, Simon Taylor <stayl at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> On 15-Jul-2002, Michael Day <mikeday at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> > Any word yet on the issue with Redhat 7.3's glibc which makes Mercury
> > crash, apparently during garbage collection?
> >
> > I can have a closer look at the problem if no one else has time, but some
> > tips of where to start would be handy, as the garbage collection stuff is
> > pretty opaque to me.
>
> Fergus will be back soon, so it's probably best to leave it to him.

I am indeed back now, and I'd be happy to look at it, but I don't have
access to a RedHat 7.3 system.

The first thing to do would be to see whether the Boehm collector
passes `make test' -- for both the version shipped with the Mercury
compiler, and also the latest version on Hans' web site:
<http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/>.
If the former fails, and the latter doesn't,
then the solution will be to merge the recent changes
into the GC.

Otherwise, it would help to know exactly where it is failing.
The stack trace that you get for the seg fault may be more accurate
if you add the following text

	EXTRA_MGNUCFLAGS = --c-debug --no-c-optimize
	EXTRA_MLFLAGS = --c-debug
to the file Mmake.params before building from the source distribution.