[mercury-users] Beginner books for logic-functional programming

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Fri Apr 27 08:53:54 AEST 2001

	> What books would you recommend that I get so that the reference
	> manual, libraries, and way to develop new programs in Mercury makes
	> more sense to me?

Ralph Beckett suggested Sterling & Shapiro (there is a 2nd edition)
and Clocksin & Mellish (how many editions has that gone to now?).
Bill Clocksin has a book somewhat in the spirit of The Simple Schemer
called "Clause and Effect".

He also recommended Reade's book.  For a good introduction to programming
in strict functional languages, I'd recommend Larry Paulson's "ML for the
Working Programmer" over Reade.  The Mercury type system has rather more
in common with the Haskell type system than the ML type system, and even
more in common with the Clean type system, so Rinus Plasmeijer's book might
be helpful.