[mercury-users] "What do you think about Mercury ?"

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Sep 10 08:48:33 AEST 1999

On 09-Sep-1999, Robert Ernst Johann JESCHOFNIK <rejj at cat.cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> > > Could you elaborate here?  What don't you like about that?
> > > As a user, why do you care how the implementation works?
> >
> > Because it's so slow.  Particularly under NT.
>
> On the other hand, I think I would (at least for the time being) rather
> know that the developers efforts are going towards extending the language,
> rather than spending large amounts of time writing solaris, bsd, linux,
> aix, irix, windows, etc etc code generators.
> Possibly once the compiler is done (heh), or at least implements
> everything that is in the language design, then it may be rewarding to go
> ahead and create native code generators. I just can't see it doing much
> good right now, though.

I agree, but there are other ways of generating native code that we
could use.  For example using C-- might be a more lightweight way of
using the "portable assembler" approach.  Especially if we can make
C-- into a library we can link with, and so avoid the extra process creation.

--
The quantum sort:
	while (!sorted) { do_nothing(); }