[mercury-users] "What do you think about Mercury ?"

Robert Ernst Johann JESCHOFNIK rejj at cat.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Sep 9 20:58:35 AEST 1999

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Tyson Dowd wrote:

> > > Don't use "C" as a "portable assembler"
> >
> > Could you elaborate here?  What don't you like about that?
> > As a user, why do you care how the implementation works?
>
> Because it's so slow.  Particularly under NT.

On the other hand, I think I would (at least for the time being) rather
know that the developers efforts are going towards extending the language,
rather than spending large amounts of time writing solaris, bsd, linux,
aix, irix, windows, etc etc code generators.
Possibly once the compiler is done (heh), or at least implements
everything that is in the language design, then it may be rewarding to go
ahead and create native code generators. I just can't see it doing much
good right now, though.

Rob