[mercury-users] Compiling mercury on a glibc2.1 linux computer

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sat Aug 7 08:29:13 AEST 1999

On 06-Aug-1999, Issarlk <issarlk at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I had succesfuly compiled and installed mercury on my computer before
> (an AMD K6 running Redhat linux)  but since I upgraded it to Redhat 6.0
> I can't compile and install it anymore. I think this is due to the fact
> I use glibc2.1
>
> My question is : is mercury supposed to compile on my system ? Has
> someone on this list managed to build it on a glibc2.1 linux ?

The problem is that glic2.1 is not binary compatible with glibc2.0.
In particular you need to recompile the libraries.

Best solution is to grab the current release of the day and compile
that since is contains a patch to handle another change in glibc2.0
that will bite you if you just try a recompile.

The other problem currently is that many Linux distributions are
shipping with a version of egcs that falls over when compiling
Mercury.  Try to use gcc rather than egcs if you are
having problems.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't eveyone's cup of fur.