[m-dev.] Article about memory fragmentation

Paul Bone paul at bone.id.au
Fri Dec 30 11:19:08 AEDT 2016

On Sat, Oct 08, 2016 at 10:32:33PM +1100, Paul Bone wrote:

> This is a cross post as both communities will probably be interested.
>
> I investigated an issue with memory fragmentation in BDW GC and Mercury and
> it proved to be quite interesting, so I wrote it up as a blog post.
>
> http://paul.bone.id.au/2016/10/08/memory-fragmentation-in-boehmgc/
>
> I also learnt a fair amount about the collector in the process, and
> explained that in the article too.  It may be interesting if you're curious
> about how allocation works in the collector.

After writing this article back in October I receives dome feedback from
Bruce Hoult on the BDW GC mailing lists.  Based on his feedback I've written
a follow-up article
http://paul.bone.id.au/2016/12/29/more-about-memory-fragmentation/ which I
hope will also be interesting.

As before, Please let me know if I've gotten anything wrong, or of course if
you have any other comments.

I've put my changes to BDW GC in a pull request against master,
I have the same changes in a branch on my own github for the Mercury version
of BDW GC.  I'll back-port any feedback onto the Mercury version before I
commit it.

Have a happy new year.

--
Paul Bone