[m-dev.] Larger heap cells in gcd grades

Paul Bone paul at bone.id.au
Fri Dec 23 23:27:49 AEDT 2016

Hi,

I'm doing some heap utilisation profiling and noticed that in .gcd grades
allocations (cells) in the heap appear to be larger than in a regular gc
grade.  But when I edit boehm_gc/Makefile.direct and comment out the
-DNO_DEBUGGING line (to get a collector with debugging support in a regular
"gc" grade) this doesn't happen.

As I understand the only things that should increase the size of heap cells
are term size profiling and memory attribution profiling.  Why would this
also happen in a grade such as hlc.par.gcd?  I've searched and cannot find
what might be causing this.

Any ideas?

What I'm trying to do is make the gc_dump code i boehm_gc available.  It is
made available when the NO_DEBUGGING macro is *not* defined, which is
controlled by boehm_gc/Makefile.direct, it is defined by default and not
defined in gcd grades.  I can comment this out manually as I have done, but
that's less convenient because then anyone else who will use my scripts
(which I will publish) will need to do the same and rebuild Mercury.

Thanks.

--
Paul Bone
http://paul.bone.id.au