[m-dev.] Proposed installation profiles

Paul Bone paul at bone.id.au
Fri Oct 23 17:20:41 AEDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 07:10:56AM +0100, Matthias Güdemann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like the idea of installation profiles. Yet, I am unsure whether this
> grouping is the best, but maybe it is just a question of default
> profile selection.
>
> My hypothesis is that this simplification is mainly to provide less
> surprise to new users. Therefore, I think that a *default* should
> include the declarative debugger grade and support for
> parallelism. These are prominent features of Mercury, at least, these
> are the features I tell people about.

This is probably the most difficult question to answer.  It occurs to me
that if we ask N people what they think. we'll have N different answers.

Everyone has their own ideas about what a basic feature of Mercury (or
anything else) is.  I'm not saying we shouldn't ask, just that we'll
probably dissappoint N-1 people.

--
Paul Bone