[m-dev.] Proposed installation profiles

Peter Wang novalazy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 15:22:02 AEDT 2015

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:42:46 +1100 (AEDT), Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:

> Here are a proposed set of installation profiles as discussed in the "New
> release?" thread.
>
> There will be a new option to the configure script, '--enable-install-profile',
> that allows users to select an "installation profile", which is a set of library
> grades to install.  Below is a proposed set of installation profiles.
>
> Note that:
>
> * LLDS_BASE is the best supported LLDS base grade on the system, as determined
>    by the configure script.
> * the default grade for every profile is "hlc.gc".
> * the "stseg" component is specified for all low-level C grades (not just
>    the debugging and deep profiling ones).
> * .mm grades aren't included; we can add a "table" profile if it's thought that
>    they should be.
>

> Profile: minimal
> Grades:
>      - hlc.gc
>

> Profile: base
> Grades:
>      - hlc.gc
>      - hlc.gc.par  (if pthreads is available)
>      - LLDS_BASE.gc.stseg
>      - LLDS_BASE.gc.par.stseg
>      - java        (if Java is available)
>      - csharp      (if .NET / Mono is available)
>      - erlang      (if OTP is available)

Can we move the non-C grades out of base?  I don't have any use for them
and that's probably true for many people.  The people who do want to
play with the java and csharp backends probably know who they are?

The erlang grade has been broken in an easily reproduceable way since
2011 (will fix), and we've not heard a peep.  That suggests there is no
need to include erlang in any profile.

> Profile: trail
> Grades:
>      - all the grades in the "base" profile
>      - hlc.gc.trseg
>      - LLDS_BASE.gc.stseg.trseg
>

> Profile: debug
> GRADES:
>      - all the grades from the "base" profile
>      - LLDS_BASE.gc.debug.stseg.trseg
>      - LLDS_BASE.gc.decldebug.stseg.trseg
>

> Profile: profile
> Grades:
>      - all the grades from the "base" profile
>      - hlc.gc.prof
>      - hlc.gc.memprof
>      - LLDS_BASE.gc.prof.stseg
>      - LLDS_BASE.gc.memprof.stseg
>      - LLDS_BASE.gc.profdeep.stseg
>

> Profile: debug-profile
> Grades:
>      - all the grades from the "base" profile
>      - all the grades from the "debug" profile
>      - all the grades from the "profile" profile"
>

> Profile: debug-trail
> Grades:
>      - all the grades from the "base" profile
>      - all the grades from the "trail" profile
>      - all the grades from the "debug" profile
>

> Profile: profile-trail
> Grades:
>      - all the grades from the "base" profile
>      - all the grades from the "profile" profile
>      - all the grades from the "trail profile
>

> Profile: full
> Grades:
>      - all the grades from the "base" profile
>      - all the grades from the "debug" profile
>      - all the grades from the "profile" profile
>      - all the grades from the "trail" profile

I suggest allowing multiple additive profiles to be specified.
That will cut down the number of profile names, and not require the user
to know the order of the words.

The command line option might look like:

    --enable-installation-profile=trail,profile,debug

We could also accept aliases "debugging", "profiling", "trailing".

Peter