[m-dev.] Website mockups

Matt Giuca matt.giuca at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 20:17:05 AEDT 2013

On 16 Jan 2013 17:12, "Michael Day" <mikeday at yeslogic.com> wrote:

>>> I would change the main heading from "MERCURY" to "THE MERCURY
PROGRAMMING
>>> LANGUAGE", since there are undoubtedly a lot of things called Mercury.
>

> Initial impressions are that would make the heading seem absurdly
over-specific, but we'll see how the homepage looks when it's done.

> The main objective is that a programmer who has heard of Mercury but
doesn't know much about it can quickly learn what it is and why they should
care.

I'm more concerned about finding the page. Firstly, if someone types
"Mercury programming language" or even just "Mercury programming" into
Google, it is much more likely to find the page if it is called that.
Secondly, in a search results page, I can quickly identify the correct
result from the title, among all the other things called "Mercury".

> Someone looking for outboard motors or Ford cars is going to be confused
no matter what is in the header. (We still get people trying to book gigs
with the artist formerly known as Prince, no matter how we point out that
we make software, not music).