[m-dev.] Improving compilation time?

Matt Giuca matt.giuca at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 10:50:23 AEST 2011

> I'm a complete noob when it comes to both the language and the
> implementation of Mercury, but one thing is clear: Mercury desperately
> needs to improve the compilation-time in order to be more
> attractive/useful to other developers. It's just a painful experience
> to compile it from source.

I completely agree.

Note that some of these questions are answered in the FAQ (which
itself is pretty hard to find):
http://www.mercury.csse.unimelb.edu.au/information/doc-release/mercury_faq/Installing.html

In particular, it mentions the --disable-most-grades configure
parameter, which gives you only the basic grades necessary (I'm not
sure which they are, but I use this flag and it's worked OK for me so
far, only I don't think it contains the debugging or profiling
grades).