[m-dev.] Re: mercury: should this package be removed?

Paul Bone pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Feb 27 10:40:47 AEDT 2008

On 27/02/2008, at 5:07 AM, Barry deFreese wrote:

> As I mentioned yesterday I have a package that is now building with
> gcc-4.1 with all of the grades that the current package has.
> However, the package still has several issues.  One of the biggies
> is that it is creating self-recursive symlinks in /usr/lib/mercury/
> ints/Mercury/{int2s, int3s, ints, mihs, module_deps, opts,
> trans_opts}  all which link to ..
>
> Any idea what that is for and if it is even necessary or what it is
> supposed to be doing?
>
> As for maintaining this in some VCS system, that shouldn't be an
> issue.  Just make sure you keep the debian and VCS dirs/files out
> of the tarball.
>
> Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Barry,

It seems that about 3 of us are creating packages independently.
Please allow me to coordinate everybody's efforts.  I have a darcs
repository[1] of what I've achieved so far (the dh_install step fails
atm).  If you'd like please check it out, make any changes and use
'darcs send' to e-mail them to me.

Otherwise e-mail what you've done so far and I'll take a look.

I expect you've gotten a little further than me, however I don't know
what approach you are taking and what outcomes you're aiming for, so
accepting your work may take longer than expected.

I'm building mercury for a single grade initially just to get
something working, this will be asm_fast.gc.  I'm also building
separate packages such as mercury-dev mercury-asmfastgc1-dev mercury-
bin.

I'd be very interested to see what you have achieved.

1: http://www.digitalerection.com/~paul/mercury-0.13.1-debianization
This is the debian directory.  There are also some patches for
mercury that aren't published yet.