[m-dev.] Patch: Tcl/Tk interface without '%' prompt

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 23:14:30 AEDT 2007

On 1/19/07, Julien Fischer <juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Jonathan Morgan wrote:
> > With regard to mercury_tcltk and similar libraries, I think that the
> > name should be unnecessary (I already know that I'm using Mercury),
> > and I can't see that it helps (the manual isn't very clear, but I
> > don't think that the importing it will cause the imported libraries
> > (e.g. mtcltk, mtk) to be imported into the calling module.  My memory
> > is also that the samples imported mtcltk and mtk directly, rather than
> > going through mercury_tcltk.
>
> That's not why use mercury_tcltk.  You can think of it as a substitute
> for the package mechanism that Mercury doesn't have - it's just
> a convenient way of grouping modules together into a single library.
>
> Arranging them in a hierarchy of sub-modules might seem more natural
> but when many of those bindings were originally written sub-modules
> hadn't been implemented.
>
> > With regard to naming, I think that the Tcl wrapper module should be
> > called 'tcl' and the Tk interface built on it should be called 'tk',
> > possibly also containing sub-modules as necessary.  There should be no
> > necessity for some kind of a wrapper module with imports like
> > mercury_tcltk.  I certainly intend to have the Gtk+ modules using
> > module names 'gtk', 'glib', and similar.
>
> As separate libraries?  Even in that case I would still import them
> into a dummy package(s) whose name gives some indication that they
> are Mercury bindings; I certainly have enough things installed on
> my system that match libgtk* to begin with.

What I was objecting to was the fact that mercury_* packages are
useless to Mercury, as they provide absolutely no services to any
Mercury module.  If what you are saying is that these wrapper
libraries are merely an installation and linker convenience, then I
will withdraw my comments.

I certainly agree with the libgtk* comment.

Jon