[m-dev.] 0.13 release: op/3 syntax

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Mar 4 16:50:33 AEDT 2006

Hi Kevin,

Great to hear from you!

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 02:32:50PM +0100, Kevin Glynn wrote:
> Peter Schachte writes:
>  > Haskell, which doesn't allow its syntax to be extended
> Hmmmm, that can't be the reason:
>
>   http://www.haskell.org/tutorial/functions.html#sect3.2
>
> In Haskell one can define new infix operators and data constructors
> without the backtick notation.
> This is often used to great effect to create Domain Specific Languages
> which still have access to all of Haskell where necessary. There are
> many examples: parser libraries, web page generation, hardware design,

I sit corrected!

In that case, I revise my argument:  Haskell has user-define
operators, and they like them.  Mercury should have them, too.

(You like the smooth, subtle way I shift a correction of my earlier
mistake into a point in my favor?)

--
Peter Schachte              Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        they are subtle and quick to anger.