[m-dev.] 0.13 release: op/3 syntax

Kevin Glynn glynn at info.ucl.ac.be
Sat Mar 4 00:32:50 AEDT 2006

Peter Schachte writes:

 > I suspect most Mercureans have less experience with Prolog than
 > Haskell, which doesn't allow its syntax to be extended (just the ugly,
 > inflexible backtick notation).  So it's not surprising some find the
 > prospect of user-defined operators frightening, nor that reassuring
 > words from a few who have experience with them are greeted with
 > skepticism.

Hmmmm, that can't be the reason:

  http://www.haskell.org/tutorial/functions.html#sect3.2

In Haskell one can define new infix operators and data constructors
without the backtick notation.

This is often used to great effect to create Domain Specific Languages
which still have access to all of Haskell where necessary. There are
many examples: parser libraries, web page generation, hardware design,

I don't have enough experience with Mercury syntax to know whether
adding user-defined operators would give the same benefits.