[m-dev.] IL, Mono and Portable .NET

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 14:27:58 AEDT 2006

Any idea how much work it would be to natively support Mono or DotGnu for
the IL backend with both mmake and mmc --make?
Is it likely to be just a matter of adding their programs to the configure
script and then choosing command line options depending on the compiler, or
will more work be needed to get the IL compiling?  I think it would also be
necessary to add a command line option to disable MC++, and have that on by
default if no MC++ compiler is detected (the only MC++ code in the standard
library is in benchmarking.m).

Also, it's worth noting that (with patches committed recently) Mercury's IL
backend works perfectly with the .NET SDK 1.1 (which is probably a better
thing to recommend).  I haven't yet tried 0.12.2 to see if it works out of
the box, but it should do.

I would like to test it with .NET Framework 2.0, but I haven't yet got hold
of all the necessary compilers.  Expect results sometime.

Jon