[m-dev.] Mercury build size and library versioning

Peter Hawkins peter at hawkins.emu.id.au
Thu Jul 15 19:24:11 AEST 2004

Hi...
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:55 am, Ralph Becket wrote:
> Peter Hawkins, Wednesday, 14 July 2004:
> > building the following grades to include in the package:
> > Can I safely omit any of these? I suspect profdeep can go until the deep
> > profiler has been fixed, any others?
>
> You can safely omit all but one of them!
>
> I get by quite happily with just two: asm_fast.gc.tr.debug for debugging
> and either asm_fast.gc or hlc.gc (add .tr to those grades if you need
> trailing.)

I agree that for a specific installation I can get by with less. However I'm
building the package for inclusion in debian, not just for my own use. What
grades would you recommend that I include for general consumption, while
still keeping the size down?

Currently I'm using these grades:
For i386, powerpc, alpha, m68k, mips:
hlc.gc,hlc.par.gc,asm_fast.gc,asm_fast.gc.prof,asm_fast.gc.memprof,asm_fast.gc.tr,asm_fast.gc.tr.debug,asm_fast.gc.prof.tr

For ia64, hppa (no non-local gotos):
hlc.gc,hlc.par.gc,reg.gc,reg.gc.prof,reg.gc.memprof,reg.gc.tr,reg.gc.tr.debug,reg.gc.prof.tr

For arm, mipsel, s390 (no non-local gotos or global register variables):
hlc.gc,hlc.par.gc,none.gc,hlc.gc.prof,hlc.gc.memprof,hlc.gc.tr,none.gc.tr.debug,hlc.gc.prof.tr

=)
Peter