[m-dev.] Uploaded Mac OS-X port; Windows port?

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Jan 28 19:00:24 AEDT 2003

On 23-Jan-2003, Douglas Auclair <dauclair at msn.com> wrote:
> I have uploaded the Mac OS-X port (version 0.11.0) and installation
> instructions to ftp.mercury.cs.mu.oz.au/pub/mercury/incoming.  Would
> somebody move those files to the binary distribution directory?

Done.  Thanks.

Next time, it would be nicer if you could use the `mmake bindist'
procedure, so that the installation directory isn't hard-coded
as /usr/local/mercury-0.11.0.

> Would you please publish a document for porters that show what is required
> for a binary distribution?

See bindist/README in the Mercury source distribution.

> I'm currently using 0.10.1 for cygwin.  It does the job, but it has some
> associated Windows annoyances, e.g.: it complains about 0xD as an
> unacceptable token (I use perl to strip the '\r' characters, but Xemacs
> puts them back in),

If you want to store your source files in Windows format rather than
Unix format, then you should use the Cygwin `mount' command to mount
the directory containing them in "text" mode rather than "binary" mode.

> and when printing to the shell,
>
> lines
>     print
>          like
>              this.

Which shell, the Cygwin bash shell, or the Windows command.com (or
cmd.exe) shell?

> Would you please consider Windows support (the
> end-of-line problem should be an easy fix, and accepting '\r' as
> white-space is simple to add to a scanner) for the compiler and the runtime?

I am planning to make a "Mingw" binary distribution of Mercury 0.11.0
available.  This will use the native Windows file formats and path names.