[m-dev.] for review: update text files for 0.10

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Feb 5 23:31:40 AEDT 2001

On 05-Feb-2001, Ralph Becket <rbeck at microsoft.com> wrote:
> >From Fergus Henderson on 04/02/2001 03:34:34
> > RCS file: /home/mercury1/repository/mercury/NEWS,v
> > +HIGHLIGHTS
> > +==========
> > +
> > +Changes to the Mercury language:
> > +* We've added support for explicit type quantification.
>
> s/quantification/qualification/?

Shall do.

> > +Changes to the Mercury standard library:
> > +* We've added several new standard library modules:
> > +  - `pprint', for pretty printing.
> > +  - `counter', for managing counters.
> > +  - `sparse_bitset', an abstract data type for storing sets of integers.
> > +  - `enum', a typeclass for types which can be converted to and from
> integers.
> > +* The `store' module now makes use of existential types.
>
> Do you want bitmap and hash_table to go in this release?

My knee-jerk response is "No!".
The feature set for this release was frozen a long time ago.
So unless there is a very strong argument to the contrary,
we shouldn't make any changes other than bug fixes.

Feel free to check your changes in on the main branch as usual.

When we are completely ready to freeze the release,
i.e. once we've got all the tests passing on the release branch,
then we'll see if all the tests are passing on the main branch too.
If they are, then we may consider releasing the main branch rather
than the release branch.

> They're ready to roll.

Have you got test cases for them for our test suite?

> > +* We've added some new predicates to the Mercury standard library:
> > +	array__map/3,
> > +	bag__count_value/3,
> > +	std_util__do_while/4.
>
> There are more... I'd really like to check in my array changes
> adding array__{sort,fold[lr],permutation}.

By all means check them in on the main branch
(as usual presuming they've been tested, reviewed,
etc., and that the review comments have been addressed).

> > +* The following predicates have been replaced by functions with
> > +  the same names, and will be removed in a future release.
>
> There are a couple of changes in int.m that would be nice, including
> func versions/replacements for abs, max and min.

That sounds like a great idea.