[m-dev.] /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:_MR_global_pointer _GC_register_dyn

Terrence Brannon princepawn at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 10 08:18:51 AEST 2001

------Original Message------
From: Fergus Henderson <fjh at cs.mu.oz.au>
To: Terrence Brannon <princepawn at earthlink.net>
Sent: April 9, 2001 3:12:33 PM GMT
Subject: Re: [m-dev.] /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:_MR_global_pointer  _GC_register_dyn

On 30-Apr-2001, you wrote (and I quote _in full_):
> Fergus Henderson writes:
>  > On 30-Apr-2001, Terrence Brannon <princepawn at earthlink.net> wrote:
>  > > On Mac OS X, in what appears to be the final link state, I get some undefined symbols:
>  > > /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
>  > > _MR_global_pointer

doing a rm runtime/*.o and remaking everything seemed to eliminate this undefined symbol

>  > > _GC_register_dynamic_libraries

this symbol is in dyn_load.c. However, for some reason the
#if ... #else /* !PCR */ was not executing the else, so I deleted the entire file except for the else part in order to get this symbol to resolve.

>  > > ___data_start
>  > > __end
>  > > _data_start

checksums.o has no symbols because CHECKSUMS is not defined at the top... is this ok?

In gcconfig.h, I added the following two symbols:
#define LINUX
#define powerpc

but looking at the #ifdefs in this code, something else needs to be #defined but I don't know what. Can you make a suggestion for the Mac OS X architecture on this?

>  >
>  > The last four all look like problems with the Boehm collector.
>  > Try `make test' in the boehm_gc directory.

I did this. what happens in the following command:

./if_not_there gctest ../scripts/mgnuc --grade none.gc --no-ansi --no-check -DDONT_DEFINE_READ -DNO_DEBUGGING -DNO_EXECUTE_PERMISSIONS -o gctest test.o gc.a `./threadlibs`

the response is:

/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
___data_start
__end