[m-dev.] Application-level thread scheduling

Peter Ross peter.ross at miscrit.be
Wed Oct 25 23:37:08 AEDT 2000

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 04:31:08AM -0700, Ralph Becket wrote:
> A friend just asked me about language support for writing application
> level thread schedulers in Mercury etc.  As far as I can tell, the
> extant threading mechanisms for Mercury don't support this sort of
> thing; it's all done behind the scenes.  Would it be possible to
> support app-level scheduling policies and, if so, how much work would
> be involved.  Apparently there is much whingeing about the fixed
> thread scheduling policies in current JVMs.

Currently threads are implemented on top of the pthread library (which
under Win32 is implemented in terms of Win32 threads).  So whatever
thread scheduling policy is provided by the underlying thread
implementation can be called as a piece of pragma C code.

Also read the "Concurrent Haskell" paper where they talk about using
mutvars to ensure some priority amongst different threads.  However I
have not really looked into it, so I am not sure exactly how it works.

Pete