[m-dev.] Application-level thread scheduling

Ralph Becket rbeck at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 25 22:31:08 AEDT 2000

A friend just asked me about language support for writing application
level thread schedulers in Mercury etc.  As far as I can tell, the
extant threading mechanisms for Mercury don't support this sort of
thing; it's all done behind the scenes.  Would it be possible to
support app-level scheduling policies and, if so, how much work would
be involved.  Apparently there is much whingeing about the fixed
thread scheduling policies in current JVMs.

Ralph

Ralph Becket      |      MSR Cambridge      |      rbeck at microsoft.com