[m-dev.] backup script

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Jan 27 14:38:06 AEDT 2000

On 27-Jan-2000, Robert Ernst Johann JESCHOFNIK <rejj at students.cs.mu.oz.au> wrote:
> Heya.
>
> After being reminded about the existence of the backup script, I thought
> it would be a fairly good idea to make a backup of my stuff.
>
> rejj at ender:mbackups > backupdir ~/ender2/work/mercury/
> Changes in /home/stude/r/rejj/ender2/work/mercury//bindist, making new backup
> Changes in /home/stude/r/rejj/ender2/work/mercury//boehm_gc, making new backup
> Changes in /home/stude/r/rejj/ender2/work/mercury//browser, making new backup
> Changes in /home/stude/r/rejj/ender2/work/mercury//bytecode, making new backup
> /home/stude/r/rejj/bin/backupdir: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long
> Changes in /home/stude/r/rejj/ender2/work/mercury//doc, making new backup

Ok, we've figured out the reason for this.

As an aside, backupdir was designed to work from one level further up
the directory tree.  If you run
	backupdir ~/ender2/work/
it will create a diff and revision files for each workspace, rather
than for each directory in a single workspace.

I have a backup directory on a backed up file system, which has a
sub-directory for each machine, and that subdirectory is full of
symlinks to all my workspaces on that machine.  So cron runs a backup
on each machine directory

e.g.	backup
		ender
			ws1