[m-dev.] cvs commit

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Nov 10 13:54:44 AEDT 1999

On 09-Nov-1999, Erwan Jahier <Erwan.Jahier at irisa.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to commit the extras/opium_m stuff, but cvs complains that not all
> the files have copyright messages.
>
> 	$cvs commit -F logmsg
> 	File `queens.in' appears to have no copyright message
> 	Use of uninitialized value at /home/mercury1/repository/CVSROOT/check.pl 			line 146.
> 	Will not commit.
>

> I have a few files that definitely don't need/can't have some (like queens.in,
> queens.exp that are used for the non regression tests for example...).
>
> How can I do that? (cvs man pages don't tell anything about copyright)

Don't worry about it.  We wrote some scripts for CVS to check things
like file permissions and copyright messages.

The uninitialized variable that it is complaining about is
$DISPLAY -- it is trying to display a message on your X terminal.
It's trying to say to you:
	"Commit anyway? [n]"

Your two best choices are:
	- Send one of us the files that have no copyright messages and
	  we will add them for you.
	- Login to a local machine here and do a cvs commit from
	  here (it can just ask you questions more easily there).

If you really want it to work remotely, you need the program "xmessage"
installed and you probably need to connect to the CVS server using ssh
and have X redirection through CVS on.

CVS could do with some better features for adding interaction with
remote scripts.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't eveyone's cup of fur.