[m-dev.] Diff: Fix missing dependency in generated .dep files

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Mar 18 11:28:24 AEDT 1999

On 18-Mar-1999, Warwick Harvey <wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au> wrote:
> Fergus wrote:
> > Yes, but that's because the `_init.c' file normally does *not* depend
> > on the other `.c' files which comprise the program.
> > Your proposed change would force `_init.c' to be rebuilt every time
> > anything at all has changed, for every program.  For most programs,
> > that's not necessary, and it slows down mmakes, so it's undesirable.
> >
> > The exception comes only if you use the `--extra-inits' option to c2init.
>
> I could have sworn I'd also seen this behaviour in the past, before I'd ever
> heard of the `--extra-inits' option.
>
> But then again, maybe it was sufficiently long ago it was before the
> `--extra-inits' flag existed, because all `.c' files were scanned by default

Yes, we used to do that.  But that was a long time ago.

I put a fair bit of effort into ensuring that this unnecessary
scanning and rebuilding didn't happen, so I'd like it to stay that way ;-)